Field Paste - antimicrobial sole and frog dressing
Field Paste is our anti-thrush paste for for horses which are mainly field kept. It has a thick paste-like consistency which offers greater 'staying power' as it remains in contact with the affected areas longer than other thrush treatments. This is designed to remain in the collateral grooves, central sulcus and on the sole for longer periods of time and continue having an effect against microbes. At the same time it helps prevent mud, faeces and other contaminants coming in contact with the hoof.
We made this originally for brood stock that very rarely had their feet picked out. It has a slightly lower concentration of antimicrobial substances in it than Sole Paint but has a longer residual effect.
Too thick to be painted on, Field Paste should be applied with a gloved hand. For stabled horses it is often better to use Sole Paint otherwise bedding gets stuck to the hoof and it is easier to apply.
Field Paste contains:
- Green french clay - an antimicrobial clay which gives the putty the perfect consistency.
- Bio-active honey - for its antimicrobial qualities and ability to make the putty sticky.
- Zinc oxide - a powerful, yet harmless antimicrobial powder.
- Tea tree oil - an essential oil well known for its bacteria and fungus fighting abilities.
- Eucalyptus oil - as well as being an effective antimicrobial, this essential oil assists in the toughening of weakened structures.
- Zinc Sulphate - a powerful antimicrobial which is also used in feed supplements.
All the ingredients in Field Paste are there to either have an antimicrobial effect or to improve the consistency and hence the longevity of its effect.
Generally Field Paste is used for field kept horses wheras for stabled horses Sole Paint often performs better.
Field Paste has a longer lasting effect then Sole Paint but can cause bedding to become stuck to the foot. Sole Paint is easier to apply (with a brush) than Field Paste but is removed by mud etc. more easily.
- White line health (where white line is actually degraded look at Artimud or Hoof-Stuff instead
- Hoof hardening
- General sole and frog health